How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother died two years ago, she was a shareholder in our

Resolved Question:

My mother died two years ago, she was a shareholder in our family business partnership. The business had four shareholders, my brother, father, late mother and myself and each with a 25% stake in capital & profits.

My father says that he had a joint will with my mother and that she left her estate to him. I don't have any reason to doubt him but I have not seen her will or had any dealings with the solicitor handling probate. Without offending my father I feel that I should be entitled to know that her estate has been dealt with according to her wishes. Do I have a right to see the will, and if I do what would be the best way of approaching this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Grants of probate are matters of public record.


If a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of his Will will be attached to it. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-


I would not approach the solicitor with your enquiry as he will only reveal with the permission of the executor, who I assume to be your father and would therefore need to disclose your enquiry to him.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions