How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7613
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife of 12 years has threatned to cut up my clothes and

This answer was rated:

my wife of 12 years has threatned to cut up my clothes and throw me out the house after i have asked for a divorce -(no adulty involved just fell out of love) i am frightened to leeave my home in case she changethe locks oor destroys my possesions any advice please.(joint morgage owners)



Thanks for your question.


As you own the home together and (presumably) are registered on the legal title to the property both you and your wife have a right to occupy the property which neither can deny the other. This would change if there was an order of the Court preventing you from being near your wife or occupying the home.


If there is no such order and your wife changes the locks then you will be able to change the locks back. I would download a copy of the register to the legal title from the Land Regsitry website and contact the police to see if they wish to attend when you are changing the locks back:-


It is only available between monday to saturday however.


It may be better to take the pracitcal view and give her some space to come to terms with your suggestion of divorce.


If she cuts up your cltohers then this would be criminal damage but the police are not likely to be interested in this really because it stems from a civil matter and, taking the long view, you may consider that it would be less troublesome in the ultimate aim of getting a divorce to let this go.


If this is useful please kidnly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions