How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been seperated for 5 months.He has taken

Resolved Question:

My husband and I have been seperated for 5 months.He has taken all his possessions from the house and has a few belongings still left in the shed.The house is in joint names(no mortage)We are both in our sixties and our children are grownup and not living in the house.He is living in a rented house near his sister about 25miles away.This house will go on the market in the new year,as it is too big for me on my own.I was wondering if-by law-I have the right to ask for the key he has,as he has no possessions in the property.
Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

If the house is in joint names then each party has a right to occupation (inc key) which neither can deny the other unless there is an order of the Court in place relating to the divorce or as a result of criminal or civil proceedings relating to the other's conduct.


He has a right to a key I'm afraid as he is still the joint registered proprietor.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions