How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing for divorce and it has been agreed that I will

Resolved Question:

I am filing for divorce and it has been agreed that I will use "unreasonable behaviour" as the ground for divorce.
We have stopped loving each other and both want to get it over and done with as soon as possible. We have no children and it is fairly amicable between us but I need about 5 examples to include in the form. Could you advise?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


There's a broad interpretation of what is considered unreasonable behaviour, It can cover such things as a lack of emotional support, not eating together, not sleeping together, not having sexual intercourse, demanding too much sexual intercourse, not socialising together, being aggressive, unfair criticism, not helping with household responsibilities, being selfishness and uninterested in you generally, attempting to control aspects of your life, not allowing you any freedom.


It's best to state the nature of the unreasonable behaviour and then link it to a specific time at which it happened, stating if it is continuing and when the last incidence of the behaviour was.


You should inform your husband of those examples you choose before submitting it to Court to check that he finds these acceptable and will appropriately acknowledge the issued petition.


If this is useful please kindly click so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We continue to live together so I do not want to cite examples too far back i.e over 6 months. I believe the Court may take this to mean that if the behaviour has been ongoing for over 6 months then it cannot be that "bad".


Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Yes, that's fine. You can specify that although you are living together you are effectively living separate lives in that you do not sleep in the same room and do not share a domestic life any more.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you