How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex partners mother has died, how can I find out if our

Resolved Question:

My ex partner's mother has died, how can I find out if our son inherited?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


If a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of his Will will be attached to it, if the estate is passing under the intestacy rules then it will state this as well. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-


If no grant has been obtained you should make a "standing search" of the calender, which will notify you and send you a copy of the grant if one is take out within 6 months of the date of the search:-


If you are not named as a beneficiary of the Will then the it's is up to the executors whether or not the tell you but in the end if a grant of probate is obtained it becomes a public document so you will be able to tell from that.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you