How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi have been with my partner since she was pregnant,we have

This answer was rated:

hi have been with my partner since she was pregnant,we have a ten year old girl.i am not the biological father but would like to adopt her,real father has nothing to do with her



Thanks for your question.


As the partner of the child's parent you can apply for an adoption order if you are over 21 years of age, domiciled in the UK (ie. it is the place of your permanent home). The child must have lived with you for 6 months prior to making the application. You can make the application to the Family Proceedings Court and a Court issue fee will be payable (you can phone your local Court to find out how much.


You will have to apply using Form AS8 (Application for an Adoption Orde) with three copies and a certfied copy of the full birth cetificate for the child. There may be other documents you will have to submit, here is the link to the Form:-

You should also read the guidance notes first:-


If the abset father does not consent then you can ask for the Court to dispense with the requirement for consent if he cannot be found or the child's welfare requires that it be dispensed with (ie. it's in her best interests).


After issuing the local authority or adoption agency will prepare a report on the child and you/your partner will be asked for information. A first directions hearing will then be organised (about a month after you have issued) and your application considered. A final hearing will be timetabled at which the adoption order (is satisfied) will be made.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you tom,please could you tell us if we legally have to inform the father as he as been absent for so long and are we able to take our daughter on holiday abroad without consent from the father

The father will be consulted in these circumstances. For the sake of a smooth applicaiton it would probably be best to speak to the local authority's adoption department before making the application.


Thanks for your kind accept.

Kind regards,