UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am about to file for divorce for unreasonable behaviour.

Customer Question
My husband read texts and...
I am about to file for divorce for unreasonable behaviour. My husband read texts and messages between me and another man and saw me with him. Although this relationship has ceased, my husband has made my life hell with bullying, threats, verbal and mental abuse. I have many examples of threatening texts and emails as proof. My question is should I mention the relationship I had with the other man in the divorce petition as strictly speaking this is what has caused my husband to be so cruel. I am trying not to involve solicitors as I have divorced my husband before, 8 yrs ago, so I am not new to the process. We remarried afterwards.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: DR Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

I agree that he will issue a petition based on adultery. However, I understand that to use adultery there has to be proof of sexual relationship and there is none. Morever the affair finished last August (more than six months ago) but the abuse has continued as my husband is continuously suspicious of me and had tried to bully me. Because I have resisted he takes this as "defiance and arrogance" hence his continuous abuse and thinks I am still in the relationship.

I know it will annoy him further if I don't mention the relationship but if I do he will use it to blackmail the man as he has already sent anonymous letters to him and has made false alliegationof harassment to the police.