UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

After 54 years of marriage and because my life was going nowhere,

Customer Question
I have left a house...
After 54 years of marriage and because my life was going nowhere, I have left a house worth in excess of £2m which my wife owns. I am awaiting the opportunity of a divorce within the next two years. How you you advise I proceed towards a reasonable settlement?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

Hiya,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties - after such a long marriage the reality is that you should go and get a solicitor to represent you with regard to your entitlement under ancillary relief - I would recommend that in your circumstances you start this sooner rather than later.

The issue of the house could be settled in a number of ways. It could be sold, and the proceedings divided between the parties, or one party could keep the house and pay a sum of money to the other. On rare occasions, one party stays in the house, with the other maintaining an interest in it that is given to them when the house is sold.

I would contact the Law Society at http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law where you can find a divorce solicitor in your local area tp help you with sorting this out for you.

Best of luck

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT

Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Dear Mr Fortune. Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have just one other question, that being, I am 84 years old and my partner is 69. Can I, if a settlement can be reached with my wife, make her a beneficiary to any monies that might be available should I die in the process of negotiations. I have already left all that I possess to her, but this would of course be an extra consideration. Your advice would be greatly welcomed. P.S. The house would never be sold being a Georgian Manor and there three children of my issue (all adults) and five grandchildren.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.