UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My husband has recently been convicted and received a custodial…

Customer Question
My husband has recently been...
My husband has recently been convicted and received a custodial sentence. He was paying child maintenance through a divorce settlement arranged some years ago for his children from his previous marriage. CSA have never been involved.

Having been imprisoned he has as a result lost his job and receiving no income.

His ex-wife is suggesting she will take legal advice and contact CSA for maintenance payments.

As his wife of some 6 years and with a child of our own, what claim if any does she have if he has no income and does she have any claim against me for maintenance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

If he has no income then she has no claim at all. He canont pay maintaince if he is in prison.

She will have to support herself in the traditional way. When he becomes economically active again then she may have further claim to his hard earned money though.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Many thanks for your reply.

Can you confirm that she has no claim for maintenance against me?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.