UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I plan to get married very soon and my parents wish to protect…

Customer Question
I plan to get married...
I plan to get married very soon and my parents wish to protect my Inheritance if I was to get divorced.
Is it right that if the following is adhered to, then the assets (my parents home) if gifted on each of their death into a discretionary trust and either parent and myself are the beneficiaries with remoter issue, and either parent and myself are the Trustees of such trust, then it is more likely upon any breakdown of my marriage that the assets will not be held to be part of the matrimonial pot, if:

The discrectionary Trust is drawn up pre-marriage. even if the asset is not received into the Trust until after my marriage.

The Trust continued to remain in place, many years after both my parents death.

And during marriage and pre-divorce they are kept separate from any investments in the matrimonial pot.

Would this still be the case if the Trustees sold the home and the money was held in the discreationary Trust.

Many thanks
Alan
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
6/18/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.