UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

my relationship of 20 years has ended we have 1 child who is…

Customer Question
my relationship of 20 years...
my relationship of 20 years has ended we have 1 child who is 16 yrs old and we are joint owners of the property in which we live. I would like to stay in the house with our son but he has had the property valued to sell. What do I do next? I am currently working full time and he is out of work can I take over the mortgage payments and become the sole owber of the property Please advise me on what I should do

Many thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

hi

how much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage an dwhat other assets are there

claire

Thank you for answering me so quickly the house has been valued today at £105000 the outstanding mortgage is £53000 there is also a loan secured upon the house for £18000 in joint names.
There are no real assests apart from the contents of the house, I have a mobility car provided as Im registered disabled due to MS he owns a car a motor bike and a caravan which he used for work purposes when working.

hi

could you afford to take over the mortgage and the loan - and pay him a lump sum of any sort?

claire

Hi

I can afford to pay the mortgage and at a push the loan but I'm not in a position to pay a lump sum if I take over all the payments unless it was a small lump sum which I could probably ask for help from family for this depending on the figure you suggest

hi

i assume that you were not married?

claire

No sorry I didnt state that at the beginning apologies for that

hi

since you are not married the options are limited

the proceeds of sale (after deduction of the mortgage and the loan) will have to be divided equally between you

you can delay the division until your son is 18 - so you could offer a slightly lower figure is you were offering an immediate payment

claire

Are you saying an offer would be the monies remaining If the house was sold minus the outstanding monies etc ? Can the sale of the house be forced however as we both own the property and are joint mortgage owners at present
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.