UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

16 months ago my wife went to live abroad. She now wishes to…

Customer Question
16 months ago my wife...
16 months ago my wife went to live abroad. She now wishes to end our relationship and wants to sell our jointly owned property (no mortgage, joint tenants). I do not wish to do so for at least 22 months because my 16 year old daughter (from a previous marriage) lives with me the majority of the time. I wish to keep the stability through the rest of her education and I also wish to wait for, hopefully, some improvement in property prices. Divorce proceeding have not commenced. I am aware that, in any case, it can only be after 2 years separation by agreement between us. Can my wife force me to place the property on the market immediately? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
hi
how much is the house worth and what other assets are there
how long have you been married
claire
Purchased in 2003 for £448,000 +stamp duty. Spent well in excess of £150K on it (Large garden etc.) Best guess in today's market not more than £500K. I have a house in Wales solely in my name (value around £300K) She has a house in Portugal solely in her name (value around £250K). She has an apartment here in UK rented out, solely in her name (value maybe £180K in today's market, maximum but originally £215K).
Married since 2007. Living together since 2003. She brought most of the capital asset to the relationship but no income. I brought all the income. I have some capital (around £50K) in my name in Ireland.
Thanks.
hi
how much do you earn
claire