UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was with a woman for 25 years and she died, before she died…

Customer Question
I was with a woman...
I was with a woman for 25 years and she died, before she died I was paying her medical bills and looking after(washing and cleaning her, Her kids had access to her money but never helped for ten months, one of her sons spent £40.000 of her money when he suppose to be sending some over to look after his mum, I have spend all of me money on this woman and helped her until I myself had a stroke, I have been with this woman for 25 years looking after her since she had a stroke in 1988 can I claim on her estate
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
6/8/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
hi
did you live together or were you in any way financially dependent on her
claire
yes we brought a house together in jamaica, her share is left to her children, I have been paying the bills there we have been living on and off since 1996
hi
what about the position here in the uk
claire
all the daughters is saying, is when probate goes through she will make sure I get back some money, and to sign over the house that me and there mum brought together but nothing in writing, but I cannot wait as I am nearly skint, my son is writing this for me, I am handing over power of attorney to him, just waiting for attorney papers to come through, the lady I was with have house in uk on her own name, have land and other houses in jamaica but me and her brought one together in 1993, due the the stress I was under(her kids not sending any money for her care, lifting her up daily paying all doctors bills,) this all has taken its toll, thats why I had a stroke, the kids had her pension and was suppose to send it over every month but never
hi
did you live together in the uk and what assets did she have here
claire

we did live together in uk, in her house, she have a house in london, but she left it in a will to her kids, everything left to kids, daughter is executioner of will,

you still busy claire
hi
if you lived with her in a property she owned here in the uk then you have a claim on her estate for a lump sum settlement
you must see a local solicitor as soon as possible
you will probably be entitled to legal aid
claire

Hi

thanks for the answer, even if we did buy a house together in jamaica, we never brought the house together in london, will I still have claims to her estate over here, even if she made a will leaving everything to her kids

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.