Robert
Robert, Solicitor
Experience:  BA Law (Hons)
13347525

MY HUSBAND IS RUNNING UP A LOT OF CREDIT CARD BILLS, WE LIVE

MY HUSBAND IS RUNNING UP A LOT OF CREDIT CARD BILLS, WE LIVE IN THE SAME PROPERTY BUT DO NOT SHARE A BED AND HAVE NOT FOR 5 YEARS, I AM WORRIED IF HE DIES I WILL BE RESPONSBLE FOR HIS DEBTS, PLEASE HOW CAN I STOP THIS, THANKYOU
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Provided the debts aren't in joint names you will not be liable. If they are in joint names you will have to get the creditors to release you from the debts.

If your husband dies his estate (all his monetary worth) will be used to pay off his debts and if there isn't enough in the estate the creditors cant come after you.

Is your house in joint names?

Regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YES THE HOUSE IS IN JOINT NAMES
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

If the mortgage is in joint names if he fails to pay it the mortgage co can pursue either of you or repossess the house.

Credit cards do not have any right to repossess your house and can only make a claim against the value of his estate. If he has taken out a personal loan often they do not have security against the house and don't have any right to do the same. If they are secured against the house they could but as the house is in joint names you would have had to agreed to it.

Regards