How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive a small uk state pension ( I purchased as many

Customer Question

I receive a small uk state pension ( I purchased as many years as possible to do this). I live in the us and am short of a few years to receive a us pension. With the respricocity agreement between the uk and us can I claim a us pension as well as a uk pension or does one cancel out the other?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me more about what's going on?
Customer: that's it I need a uk us pension expert
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

With US pension, do you mean social security?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

You can get social security if you have enough credit to qualify. Generally, you need at least 40 credits. Are you US citizen or UK citizen?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have some work years in the us but not enough for social security. I am 10 or 15 credits short but I have years of work in the uk (15). I filled in paperwork for recpicocity with the uk but instead of requesting my work record from the uk the us have sent my paperwork as an application for a uk pension.. I am confused I get a uk pension (not a full one but as much a I can (I bought some years
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have both citizenships and live in the us (since 1990
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I thought I my work in the uk would make up my years in the us to over 40 credits so I could get social security here
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
still get my uk pension (which is around 122 pounds a week (so not a full pension as I didn't have enough years even with the ones I was allowed to buy
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

Not necessarily. If you are receiving UK pension you cannot apply the credit towards your social security benefits. You cannot double-dip.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
is my question clear?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

If you worked in UK as US citizen, you could have used the credits towards your US social security. But if you already qualified for UK pension, you cannot get credit for US social security.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if I can't get social security in the us can my work in the us..teaching for years (30 credits) be used to increase my uk pension to the full allowed amount?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I moved to the us in 1990..I was born in the uk
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I started receiving my uk state pension in DEcember 2019
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
will it increase with the us work paperwork (my 30 credits)
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

You should have reported your US earnings when you applied for your UK pension. The US credits should have been taken in consideration.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I didn't do that as I didnt know..which was why I bought years..
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
for thousands of pounds. ...what is my position now?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
my us work record has been sent, now, to the uk. Will it affect an increase in my pension there or am I now locked in to what I receive from buying years and years that I had
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying R$11.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How do I get the appropriate expert?