UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I am currently in my consultation period for redundancy.

Hi. I am currently...

Hi. I am currently in my consultation period for redundancy. This will end at the end of April and it will be followed by 3 months notice period. In case I find a job before the end of the consultation period but wish to start the new job after the end of the notice period, I would like to know if I present my dismissal at the end of the consultation period, will I still get the 3 months of notice period? thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

3/28/2018
Jenny McKenzie

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
1 year and 3 months at the end of consultation period and 1 year and 6 months at the end of notice period

Why do you need to tell the employer about the new job if it would start after the end of the notice period?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Because I would prefer to leave the business than being made redundant for reputation

Ok understood. If your contract states 3 months notice either way then there won't be a problem for you to do this and still be paid/ obliged to work the notice period.

I would therefore check your contract before doing this.

If the contract period is less from you than from them (unlikely) then you might end up with a shorter notice period. However this would be fairly unusual.

If you have any further questions please do as.

If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best with your new job.

Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie