UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I got stealing from work. They presented me with eBay

Customer Question
Hi, i got stealing...

Hi, i got stealing from work. They presented me with eBay accounts, how can they get these?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or the States? It matters because laws vary by location.

U.K.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I resigned immediately. They contacted me today saying I owe them thousands of pounds and I don’t think it’s that much, I don’t know how to check or how they got this jnfo

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I’m just keen to know if they’ve got my eBay records legally

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
They have said if I pay it all back in 12 months they won’t take it any further.
I’m happy to pay back what I owe as I know It was wrong but I don’t want to pay them too much and I don’t know how they obtained my eBay records
Please can you confirm this is a private conversation
3/18/2018
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 4 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hi, yes it’s a private conversation. Can I ask the type of company you work for and how the eBay accounts are relevant here (eg do you use them to buy things and have you used your employer’s money to do so, etc)
They’re private, just my own accounts which I buy and sell things on . Haven’t ever used any company money to buy anything.
Didn’t you say you were caught stealing? Could you give me further details.
Thanks,
J
Sorry, in a bit of muddle. I was taking things that were left in part exchange cars and selling them
On eBay. I was not the only one doing it which I know isn’t a defence but I’ve been the only one they have pulled up on it. They presented me with my personal eBay tecords and asked if the account was mine.
They have just send me a letter saying I owe them nearly £8.5k when it wouldn’t be nowhere near that.
I can only see last 18 months on eBay and eBay have confirmed that no one else can see these r records so how have they got their information and this figure? And is it legal to present me with my personal eBay records?
Where do I stand on paying the money back? I’m happy to do so but only what I took and sold which I don’t believe is anywhere near that amount
Thanks
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 3 months ago

Hi again, can you evidence how much the amount was from your end?

I can't say how they obtained your eBay records - it's possible they monitored you whilst at work and screenshot the pages.

Technically, the things left in the cars were not yours and as such, it is technically a criminal offence but it sounds like they won't be pressing charges.

My advice is to evidence from your own records what it was that you made in eBay sales and go back to them to show them. You can ask them to explain how they arrived at the figure of £8,500 and it would be for them to prove that this is what you stole. Who is to say they haven't just made up that figure? It needs to be evidenced.

Thanks ,

J

Hi if you could please rate my answer, many thanks
Thankyou. I have just received my payslip where they have withheld £300 for this.
So if i go back them and ask for evidence of how they arrived at the £8-5 figure and proof of this that’s ok?
Is it legal that they can use my personal eBay records (however they obtained them)?
I’m going to check my own PayPal records as well so I have proof of what I sold
Thanks
Hi again, yes you should ask for proof as you are entitled to know the case you have to meet and to address their allegations.I’m no data protection lawyer but it sounds to me they have fallen foul of the Data Protection Act insofar as they accessed your eBay accounts. Your PayPal accounts will confirm what you sold and whether their figure is accurate or way off.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.