UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I was call in to a meeting about my working hours I was ment…

Customer Question
Hi there I was...

Hi there I was call in to a meeting about my working hours I was ment to b at work at 8 but did not make it in till 10 I put it on my time sheet that I was in at 8 my boss is saying I was not in at that time but I am saying I was I no I should have been honest but I am on a salary and I have put in extra hours over the year now they are calling me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ireland

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time can they sack me over this because that is the vibe I am getting off them

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
Can I get sacked over this
3/7/2018
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is this in relation to UK or Irish law?

Irish law
ARr u still there

yes but you posted this in UK law so I will have to move it to Irish law where someone will reply when available

I was told I could ask a question for 5 dollars and there is 30 euro after been taken out of my account
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 4 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hi, thanks for the question. Can you confirm how long you have been with your employers for? Are you on probation? Have you had anything from them like a verbal or written warning?
Hi I’ve been employed since July 16 I was given a verbal warning for been late by one hour and a half and failing to tell my manager.
Ok then you have employment rights as you’ve been employed for over a year. In your contract you would normally be given a verbal warning and if the situation occurs again, you would then get a written warning. If it happened yet again, you would get a final warning. This is unless they classify what you did as gross misconduct and in that scenario they can dismiss you but they have to be very careful as if they do that without proper evidence, you could sue them for wrongful dismissal and claim damages. Have they called you for a meeting? If so you can simply apologise and say you didn’t realise you put 8 and not 10 on the form. In my opinion I doubt that would be classed as gross misconduct as gross misconduct is for things like theft, assault, etc. I’m sure you’ll be fine as don’t forget too that it would cost them to recruit another person in your position. Hope this helps? Please let me know if I can help further and if you’d accept my answer then I’d be grateful. Best wishes, J
I can apologize because I already had a meeting and said I was in at 8 but they had cctv of me coming in at 10 but I said I got dropped in and my car was in the town and I went and got it at my brake time that’s why I was on cctv at 10 now the are looking for the reg of the car that is supposed to have dropped me in but there is none is this bad
Well you have explained the situation to them and it seems they are trying to get the reg to disprove what you say. If they push it, they may well give you a written warning as opposed to dismissal. Like I say, you have employment rights and they will be aware of that. Are any other meetings scheduled to take place?
one today
Ok well you can say you have taken legal advice and say you are sorry if there has been a mixup but you want to continue to work there. If they get awakward say that you have employment rights as you’ve been there for over 12 months and that you will take further legal advice if they are considering a dismissal. You may well just get a written warning. I can’t think it would be more than that as if it was they would have told you and escorted you off the premises by now. Anyway let me know how it goes and if I can assist further please let me know. Regards, J
Thanks for the advice

No problem, please accept my answer if I have assisted you today

Kind regards,

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Hi there I am after getting a written warning again from my work for falseafin my hours they have no proof that I did this but they still issued this to what can I do I am appealing this