UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

At my new work place someone was told not to come in

anymore, they wasn't given a...
at my new work place someone was told not to come in anymore, they wasn't given a real reason, my employer and he's wife change their mind on a daily basis and they have had new staff on a weekly basis...
i am trying to prevent the same thing happening to me,
the business is now closed until next week, when is possible that they will say they are selling the business and they probably no longer need me!
i want to add that i was discriminated by the wife not the owner! i was called names after working there as a manager for 1 month and solved all the problems, after i helped them with the business, and the business was back on track, they started changing their attitude and they came out with new terms and conditions
1/11/2018
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Hi there. I am looking into this for you. Please do bear with me and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

thanks i wasn't; sure if it was something you could help, considering I've been there just for a month, thanks looking forward for your reply

No problem at all. I will get back to you shortly. Thanks again

Hi there, sorry I could not get back to you earlier. If you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on a reason which makes a dismissal automatically unfair. These include:
• Discrimination due to a protected characteristic (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, etc.)
• Taking, or trying to take, leave for family reasons including pregnancy, maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave, childbirth and parental leave

In the event that the reason for dismissal fell within any of these categories, the dismissal could be automatically unfair and there could also be a potential discrimination claim.

However, if the dismissal had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it. In that case your only protection would be if you were dismissed in breach of contract. That could happen if you were not paid your contractual notice period (unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct) or the employer had not followed a contractually binding dismissal procedure. If you did not have a written contract in place you would be entitled to the minimum statutory notice period of 1 week. Your employer would either have to allow you to work that notice period and pay you as normal, or they will have to pay you in lieu of notice.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hi thank you somuch for your respons I thought I left the stars will do it again now thanks again
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.