UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

Where do I stand in respect of claiming back unpaid overtime…

Customer Question
Where do I stand...

Where do I stand in respect of claiming back unpaid overtime and holiday payments that are contrary to the terms and conditions that I carried over a point of transfer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I originally worked in Kent, UK and transferred to South Lanarkshire, Scotland

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time , I had been with the company since Jan 1992

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was placed on the new company payroll in December 2106 and since then have been paid under there system

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
12/9/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

So have the company been trading under the same business name, since the transfer or have you been working for another organisation altogether?

Up until June 2016 I was working for HPDS LTD and from then was tuped to Record uk
I moved from Kent to Blantyre Scotland so as to stay employed as apposed to taking redundancy. I have asked continuously at to what my position is .

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. If you wanted to make a claim against the employer to recover these payments you will have to issue a claim in the employment tribunal. The main issue with doing this is the time limits associated with issuing it. There is a strict time limit of 3 months to make such a claim, counting from the date the deductions were made (meaning when you were due to be paid but the employer failed to do so). If the deductions span a period of time, to be able to catch all of the previous non-payments you need to show that there was a ‘series’ of deductions over time. This means that the employer was paying you incorrectly continuously over time. If, at some point, they paid you correctly then the continuity would have been broken and unless you made a claim within 3 months, any deductions before that date would no longer be claimable. However, if you were paid incorrectly continuously throughout this period and at no point did the employer pay you the correct amount, you can potentially claim this as an ongoing series of deductions and claim for them all at once.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow to take this further. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a quick second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.