UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I am in a consultation period under contract with a company…

Customer Question
Hello I am...

Hello I am in a consultation period under contract with a company which ends on Friday this week. Despite their offer to find another job within their customer database, there is no suitable job. I was told that as I have only been in the company for a year, I would be entitled to 1 week's statutory pay. My contract states that if I hand in my notice, then the company will have to be 1 month's salary. I would like to hand in my notice tomorrow and wondered if there is any legal point which could prevent me from handing in this notice before the redundancy date on 24th Nov. For your information, I only found out about this 2 days before I went on a planned holiday on 24th October. I would be grateful for any advice - thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

When you say 'state', are we talking about the UK which is where I am situated

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part-time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that is all thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

If you resigned by giving a month’s notice all you have done is set an end date for your employment based on this notice requirement. The period in between does not change as the notice period is treated the same as any other period of employment. During that time the employer can also give you notice of termination and whilst usually it would be the same length as yours, meaning they cannot end your employment early, in circumstances where the notice period required by them is shorter, they can issue you with that and basically end your employment earlier than if your notice period had been worked in full.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 months ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.