UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I have a question about employment law and contracts. I’m…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about employment law and contracts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I’m home in the UK. In August I went to teach in Hong Kong. It was horrendous and on 7th September I spoke to the Principal about issues with accommodation. Nothing could be done so I resigned by email on 14th Sept. in accordance with my contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I don’t know

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. I emailed to give my months notice on 29th Sept and left Hong Kong at the end of Oct. the school sent me an invoice saying that I need to give them back money.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
My contract states that the first 3 months was a probabtion period where either party could give one months notice within this time. I asked HR several times to help me find alternative accommodation. My question is can they legally chase me in the UK, issue a CCJ? Or are they even entitled to any reimbursement considering I left during my probation period. HR are ignoring my written resignation email to the Principal of the school on 14th and 29th September. It’s not my fault they I’ve me!
11/15/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Hello Ben.

So is do you have a UK employment contract? If so, please can you tell me how long you had worked for this employer for?

No it’s a Hong Kong one. Not a UK one.
I worked there for 8 weeks.

OK so in that case I will need to opt out so that another expert can assist you, as I am able to assist with UK employment law.