UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I would like to know,if is any law,regulation,límit for

Customer Question
Hello.i would like to...

Hello.i would like to know,if is any law,regulation,límit for màxim amount

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Of massages for therapists per day

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I work 30hrs a week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No,thats all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
10/3/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Do you get a break during your working day and if so, how long? Also, how many massages do you carry out per day exactly?

i have one 30min break.in my company we dont have any límit for the amount of massages.i work 8 hrs a day.it means that i can have even 8 one hr massages per day
i heard that' european law tells about max.4 massages a day.but i cant find a website with this law

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. There is no specific law, (UK or European) which sets a limit on the amount of massages a therapist can do a day. Some employers limit the number of massages their therapist would do but this is an internal policy, not a legal one.

The law which would apply to this is more general. Employers have certain duties, both under common law and statute, in relation to the health and safety of their employees. These duties can be summarised as follows:

· Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 an employer has a general duty "to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all its employees.”

{C}· {C}Provide information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, the health and safety of employees at work

{C}· {C}Ensure that places of work under the employer's control are, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe for work and without risks to health

{C}· {C}Provide and maintain a safe working environment with adequate facilities and arrangements for welfare at work.

So basically if long hours massaging are set by the employer and the strain of doing this work impacts the health and safety of the therapist, that is when they could potentially be in breach of the law.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the options you have on taking this further if you believe your health and safety is affected. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a quick second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.