UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I am a Carer, I want advice on how to write a resignation…

Customer Question
Hello I am a...

Hello I am a Carer, I want advice on how to write a resignation letter pending a disciplinary hearing. FACTS: because of a scheduling confusion where a client was left without care for 1 day I was suspended pending an investigation. I had stopped working for that client 4 months ago because I told the Agency that the client was rude and aggressive. I could spell trouble and as it has turned out she has reported lies about myself and fellow Carers. As the Client reported to Social Services for that 1 day gap in services where i do the day shift and two carers do the night shift because 2 people are needed. the client reported all 3 of us. I received a letter from the agency saying I was suspended without pay until further notice. I have not been given ANY detailed REASON for the suspension by the agency either than 'A client complained'. I only know WHAT'S HAPPENING as all 3 of us have talked about it and know the client is a trouble maker and what she has complained about in the past. I WANT TO now resign rather than wait for the disciplinary hearing. ALSO what am I ENTITLED to if I make this kind of resignation. i.e Am I allowed pay in lieu of my notice? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The link I got from a forum is UK Employment law. I live in London

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am not sure. It is shift work.....I can work as many hours as I can. I used to work less hours with assistance from Housing Benefit. But this year I decided to work more hours and refused any housing benefit as the forms were a hassle. I work also weekends every other week. We are paid per hour we work depending on how many clients I see and the clients needs. Some clients I see 45 minutes as they are independent. Some I see for 2 hours because they need more support. They also pay into a pension fund....don't know if that helps. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, in the letter they stated, that the SUSPENSION was without pay. Also that the suspension did not mean that I was GUILTY of anything - just that it was in the interest of the company that I do not work with any clients whilst this investigation is going on. That once the investigation is completed I would be given further information. It was vague but sounded like I could go back if the investigation decided I was not at fault. but I still want to RESIGN as they have treated me badly and I am out working most days from 8am - 8pm. To be honest I just want to know HOW I can resign and the type of resignation letter I can write without getting myself into trouble or shooting myself in the foot.....and maybe if I can get a 'basic' reference letter for my next job?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
I have worked at the agency since 2009 - so that's 8 years
Answered in 1 day by:
9/18/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

So to clarify you are not employed directly by the client and you are resigning from the agency rather than the client?

No I am employed as a Carer by an agency that hires Carers and they send us out to work with clients(vulnerable Adults). Adults in need i.e Disabled, mentally unwell etc . So I do NOT work directly with the clients
Hello it's been 48 hours now if you are not helping me can I get a refund of my money please!!!
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer