UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I have been bullied & harassed by my manager over a number…

Hi, I have been...

Hi, I have been bullied & harassed by my manager over a number of years. He often doesn't allow me to have a witness present, he has his own who supports what he says and lies for him. I'm trying to decide if I'm able to secretly record what will be a difficult meeting with him coming up. He has in the past said such outrageous & offensive things to me in the knowledge his colleague will totally back him up and I want to be sure that a secret recording would be admissible. Many thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh, I'm in London, working for the London Borough of Camden

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I'm not sure what you mean. I am a full time employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, I'm pretty scared about the up coming meeting

9/16/2017
michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor

This is one of those areas where practice and principle often divide. In principle a secret recording should not be allowed to stand as evidence because it was not openly obtained. However, where it is clear that the recording is of the people alleged I have known judges allow it on countless occasions.

The issue is often not so much that it was not openly obtained but whether the recording is pure.

I hope this assists if there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond

Kindly either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael

michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Many thanks, ***** ***** issue is not cut & dried and I grateful for this advice.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.