UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I did some training course with an employer and had to £3.50…

Customer Question
I did some training...

I did some training course with an employer and had to £3.50 per certiicate, but the employer wont give the certificate to me insisting that they own the certificates

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Is that legal true that they won them even though they made me pay for them?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time, agency

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it thanks..

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Employment Law
9/8/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Who paid for the training course?

i was asked to pay £3.50 per certicate

But who paid for the training itself, not the certificates?

they did.. they told me its a free training

Just because you paid for the certificates does not mean they belong to you. It is the case that if the employer has paid for or organised the course then the training certificates would belong to them and will only be released with their consent. For example, if you were to contact the training provider and ask for a copy they could try and refuse by arguing that you are not the person who has paid for them and as such have no right to access them. However, try that first - you have nothing to lose.

Next, a subject access request is an option, this is where you ask the employer or the training provider for disclosure of any data they hold about you, which can also include these certificates.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps of making such a request. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a quick second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer