Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My partner interviewed for a job and was going to be made an

My partner interviewed for a job and was going to be made an offer. However, he didn't hear any more and the offer didn't materialise. We have since found out that it was because someone in that office stood up and shouted 'I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole' when my partner was being discussed after the interview. This person neither knows or has worked with my partner and has since admitted he got his facts wrong. While I suppose there's nothing we can do about the job situation, is there something I can write to this person to give him a bit of a legal scare so he doesn't ruin someone else's chances of getting work?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How did this information come to light exactly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My partner was told this, asked someone at his work who is friends with this guy. He asked his friend who readily admitted he did this, then said he'd made some calls and realised he'd made a mistake.

Thank you. You are correct that unfortunately there is little that can be done about the job. In terms of approaching the person who made the comments, whilst there is nothing stopping you from writing to them to make your feelings clear, from a legal perspective it would just serve the purpose of making you feel like you have done the right thing, but without actually giving you much to take it further if you wanted to. The comments would have certainly been immoral and something they should have refrained from doing, but legally it is unlikely that they have done anything wrong, at least not something which can be taken any further from a legal perspective.

So if you did wish to contact them over this, I would suggest you do so under the following:

· Defamation – if the comments they made tends to lower the subject’s reputation in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally.

· Malicious falsehood - if the comments contains untrue words that were published maliciously, so a situation where the person knew the contents were untrue and published them anyway. Publishing can be verbal and does not have to be written

· Negligent misstatement – simple negligence where the person has failed to do their homework and has stated inaccurate facts without checking their validity first.

These are the legal options you can raise but as mentioned, in reality a claim against them will be unlikely to succeed so it just serves the purpose of giving them a ‘legal scare’ as you put it.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here or select 3, 4 or 5 stars above so that I am credited for the time which I have spent assisting you. I can still answer follow up questions if needed. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks