UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I have been suspended on full pay due to allegations of

Customer Question
I have been suspended...

I have been suspended on full pay due to allegations of gross misconduct. The allegation is after 7 months in the job they have tried to verify one of my references and have evidence that one of the title of my referee was incorrect. That I had intentionally tried to falsify and mislead them although all the references have provided the same content about me for last 10 years of my employment. The title i provided was operations director inplace of operations manager for one of the references. My current employer before i was offered the role has vetted all my previous companies going direct to HR and confirming all my roles. Due to one of my xboss probably bad mouthing my current employer, they have written to HR again to verify one of my referees. I had an investigation meeting where no statement of mine was recorded, now even after explaining the reason i had put the title wrong by error and having a great record in my current employee, they want to proceed to disciplinary hearing and by the allegation they have raised it looks like they want to go for summary dismisal based on i tried to mislead them. When highlighted that the content of all the references were correct and there was no discrepancy they ignored it and didnt want to consider this. I am so stressed that i have had to get a GP certificate to be off from work. they want me to come to disciplinary hearing with no documents of evidence provided, no statements taken from me. Do i have a case of unfair dismisal or can i request a settlement to end the matter and voluntarily resign and move on wit my career

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want a settlemnent agreement to avoid hearing, appeals, tribunals and unions

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Employment Law
3/21/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What official reason has your employer provided for suspending you exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gross misconduct allegation that i provided a false and misleading reference. The only thing that was an error was the title of the referee I had put was Operations Director and she was an Operations Manager
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the content of all my references were all correct

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. The problem for you in this situation is that if you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on a reason which makes a dismissal automatically unfair. These include:

· Discrimination due to a protected characteristic (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, etc.)

· Taking, or trying to take, leave for family reasons including pregnancy, maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave, childbirth and parental leave

· Making a protected disclosure (i.e. whistleblowing)

· Being a part-time worker

In the event that the reason for dismissal fell within any of these categories, the dismissal could be automatically unfair and there could also be a potential discrimination claim.

However, if the dismissal had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it. In that case your only protection would be if you were dismissed in breach of contract. That could happen if you were not paid your contractual notice period (unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct). If you did not have a written contract in place you would be entitled to the minimum statutory notice period of 1 week. Your employer would either have to allow you to work that notice period and pay you as normal, or they will have to pay you in lieu of notice.

So the best you can hope for legally is your notice period and any accrued holidays. They can dismiss you without you being able to challenge it, but you can challenge a decision not to pay your notice if they try and rely on gross misconduct without the necessary evidence. So if you are to negotiate an exit, it may be best to approach them with a realistic offer, such as to be allowed to walk away without a dismissal hanging over your head and to be paid your notice period and to leave it at that.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here or select 3, 4 or 5 stars above so that I am credited for the time which I have spent assisting you. I can still answer follow up questions if needed. Many thanks

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer