How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 47360
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem at my work job for unfair dismissal, I was

This answer was rated:

Hello! I have a problem at my work job for unfair dismissal , I was wondering if I can get a union trade representative ?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm making an appeal for the unfair dismissal for my employment , I have a meeting with them on Wednesday 19th October and I need to be accompanied by a union trade representative
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel this could be harassment lawsuit from the managers to staff members

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Are you a member of a union?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, sorry my laptop crashed earlier and I could not get back online until now. If you are attending an appeal against an unfair dismissal, then you would be entitled to bring with you a colleague or a trade union representative. If you are opting for the union rep then usually you would have to be an existing member of a uni n to be able to use these services. If you were to join a union now for the purpose of getting a rep to accompany you at the meeting you mY find that you are not allowed to use such a service from the union for an initial period of time after joining them. For example, many unions would have a rule where once you join them you need to wait something like 3 months before you can use one of their reps to bring to a hearing. There are some limited companies which may have a union rep service but you would have to pay for that and as it is usually used as a last minute service it is not cheap.

You do not have to have a union rep with you though and often it is mainly there as moral support than anything else. They cannot answer questions for you for example and can only convey information which you have advised them of already. So do not think that having a rep there is necessarily going to be beneficial to an extent where the outcome of the hearing will swing as a result.

So if you are struggling to find a rep to attend with you, consider going without one, giving it your best shot at the appeal and if the appeal is unsuccessful – considering taking this further for an unfair dismissal claim in the employment tribunal.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the procedure should you decide to proceed to make a claim. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you