UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

I work in a pub kitchen. JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer

Customer Question
I work in a pub...
I work in a pub kitchen.
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I realise that we receive our Rota on a weekly basis. I am unable to plan evenings out as the Rota sometimes doesn't go up until 9/10pm on a Sunday night.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: Is this deemed reasonable on my Itchen managers part.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Employment Law
5/10/2016
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
How long have you worked there and what does your contract say regarding shift patterns?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have worked there since 11/07/14
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was originally on a set rota until April last year when the new kitchen manager took over. I my contract is 16 hours according to the demands of trade.
Thanks for your patience. There is nothing specific in law which states how early a rota must be published or how much notice you must get before you the rota becomes active. So in effect the employer can decide when to issue such rota and it does mean minimal notice can be given. Any specific notice periods would be set by the employee’s contract or any workplace policies that are applicable. Saying that, your employer has an implied duty of trust and confidence so they should provide you with ‘reasonable’ notice. So if you believe that the notice you have been given is too short in the circumstances and unreasonable you can bring that to your employer’s attention and either refuse to do the shift or do it but make it clear that you would expect longer notice in the future. The problem in your case is your length of service which would give you few rights to challenge it so you must be careful how much opposition you out put in relation to this. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the effect your length of service will have on this and how to deal with hat, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer