Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Some of our external staff are entitled to a company vehicle

Customer Question

Some of our external staff are entitled to a company vehicle to carry our their day to day duties i.e. visiting customers, cold calling, attending customer sites around their specific region.
One gentleman has a vehicle and the lease if up for renewal in a couple of weeks. His contract reads that he is entitled to a company car and as is normal practice the category of car allocated to you will be reviewed when your current lease is due for renewal.
He used to be a Mjr Account Mgr (which involved a lot of travelling) he then accepted a role as Tender Manager which meant same salary/bonus, working from home with the expectation that he travelled from Manchester 1 day per month to Wednesbury with no more than 1 - days in a working week in exceptional circumstances with advance notice. Since 2014 the individual has only attend Wednesbury a handful of times and more recently in 2016 not at all as the requirement has not been there. He has only submitted reports to pay for any private fuel that he has used and this also shows that he is travelling very minimally if at all for business in the company vehicle. Can we down grade his company car on renewal due to the lack of company travel carried out and possibly expected going forward. He will still be given a car just not of the same cost due to the car not moving off his drive during the working week ?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When you say external staff what is their employment status?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - When you say external staff what is their employment status?