UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I have been working in recycling company years now and 6 of…

Customer Question
Hello, I have been...

Hello, I have been working in recycling company for 8 years now and 6 of these years I have spent on supervising other people together with other 2 supervisors so there always been 3 of us. Our managing director employed 3 supervisors from his old workplace to run the furnace few years ago. Now the furnace has been shut down and instead of making these 3 supervisors redundant they 'pushed' them in to our supervisors group and there have been 6 of us for a year now. Now the managing director turned around and said he will be introducing 5 shift pattern which will only require 5 of us so one will have to be made redundant and he has given us one week before he enforces one of us to go

Lawyer's Assistant: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?

He should know that I have been a supervisor for 6 years now and others only been there for 2 years on different terms and conditions of the employment . I'm afraid that our managing director may commit cronyism to keep his old friends and get rid of me where I have been here for longer and have more experience in recycling business

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
3/3/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Thanks you for requesting me but this is not my area so I will pass on to a colleague who can help

Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, can you please let me know if there was any overlap of duties between the existing 3 supervisors and the other 3, before they moved to do your job?

There was no overlap, they had completely different duties and different contracts

Was their move not challenged at the time?