UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

My dad dyed with cood he work plaser board nottinghm my mum…

Customer Question
Hello my dad dyed...

Hello my dad dyed with cood he work for british plaser board nottinghm my mum is still a live can she mak a clam

Lawyer's Assistant: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Bronchopneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

No not seen a lawyer yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?

My dad work in making the plaster it was so dustee to

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
2/27/2016
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive

Did he make a claim whilst he was alive? Was he a Union member?

Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, if you wanted to make a claim that would be a claim for personal injury, which carries a three year time limit for submitting the claim. This would usually be from the date the injury was suffered, or in the event of latent injuries which do not become obvious for years, the time of diagnosis. If the injury resulted in death, the time limit would start from the date of death, or the ate the death was linked to the disease. This means that to make a claim it must be made within 3 years of the death of the person, or if the cause of death was only linked to the employment history, the date when that happened. Usually that may be following an autopsy so will not be much later than the actual date of death.

Assuming your father died less than 3 years ago you should still be in time to make a claim. When making a claim you would be expected to show that the death was caused by the working conditions and the employer’s negligence or lack of health and safety. Therefore, some medical evidence will be required. You may wish to see a personal injury lawyer to make such a claim, especially as they can work on a no win no fee basis. However, you do not require a lawyer to do this and can make the claim yourselves if you wanted to do it cheaper.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the procedure you need to follow to issue a claim, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.