How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 48193
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied redundancy based on calculations and "indicative"

Customer Question

I applied for voluntary redundancy based on calculations and "indicative" figures provided by my employer. They accepted my application but then changed the method of calculation giving me a lesser amount. The original offer stated figures were indicative but did not say the method of calculation was. My employer says they made a mistake first time and the lower figure is correct. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

How long have you worked there for please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, in the circumstances it would be rather difficult to force the employer to honour the original figures, based on the fact they were only indicative and that no method of calculation was provided. Had you been given something more concrete, not an indicative value but something which was confirmed and not subject to potential changes, then it would have placed you in a stronger position. There is nothing stopping you from pursuing this internally, such as through the employer’s formal grievance procedure, but if that is rejected, then your legal options only extend as far as resigning and claiming constructive dismissal, together with the initially offered amount. However, as there was never a guaranteed proposal, only an indication and it would have been subject to change, it will be a risky move.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of a possible route you can pursue for free if you resign and which could still give you a positive outcome, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.