Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
32019188

I have a self employed contract signed by both parties which

Customer Question

i have a self employed contract signed by both parties which states three months notice is to be given by either party - i have given my notice and now been told that i have no rights as such and so can go today! Can they do this?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have worked for the company since June 2011 under an employed contract but this changed to a self employed contract on 1 August 2015 the contract States 3 months notice is to be given by either party and was signed by myself and the managing director.

Why was the contract changed to a self employed one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Becuase it was decided between us that it was better for all financial planners to be self employed..I was the last one to agree to this

Was that at your request or the company's request?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a mutual agreement

Ok either way they are in breach of contract if they do not pay you 3 months in accordance with the contract.

You should contact ACAS and start early conciliation with them and then, if they do not pay, you can raise a claim in the Employment Tribunal.

You will find details of ACAS at www.acas.org.uk

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your questions I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.