Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
32019188

I have worked restaurant continuously years, I have no contract and have just

Customer Question

I have worked for a restaurant continuously for 9 years, I have no contract and have just been told that the restaurant will be closing on August 22nd of 2015. The owner said that the verbal notice started as of today (23rd July) and I will be working my 2 weeks notice. I thought I was entitled to a weeks notice for every year of employment, and payment in lieu of notice. Also they have offered to pay my redundancy into my bank as a 'wage' every 2 weeks. Do I have to accept this?
Many thanks,
Jane
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. You are right that you are entitled to a week per year notice, however you can be required to work a notice period. You should therefore be paid 9 weeks notice (even if they only require you to work 2) plus redudnancy pay. You should ask them to pay you accordingly. If they refuse you can engage ACAS early conciliation you will find details at www.acas.org.uk, and raise a claim. If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.