UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

Sarah,My work title is Field Engineer and pretty much

Customer Question
Hi Sarah, My work title is...
Hi Sarah,
My work title is Field Engineer and pretty much involves installing and maintain various equipment within my respected area. Recently my employer has won a contract that involves a need for an engineer to be perminantly based at their premises within a certain hours Monday to Friday.So this involved in a rota of engineers to fullfil the contracted duties.Now,due to the distance (2.5hours drive/eway) that I live away from the premises in question my boss had dismissed me originally as part of this Rota.Now due to an issue of resourcing for another department my boss has assigned me to work at these premises for at least two weeks and as a backup cover for any of the other guys.He said I will need to stay in a hotel from Sunday night to Friday because of the distance without any regards ***** ***** very young family.Or start at 05:30 and not return home until 19:30 daily if I needed to be at home.Can he do this?
My normal hours of work in my contract is typically 9am to 5p.m. but as a unwritten rule we tend to give the company roughly an hour each side to travel to sites as it's the nature of field service.Oh and been with the company far to long (over ten years).Plus the extra hours of travelling or the staying away is not financially rewarded either.Just feels like Im singled out and pressurized to do this within my region.Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
7/1/2015
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How log have you worked there for and what does your contract say in relation to this?
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - How log have you worked there for and what does your contract say in relation to this?