How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8968
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have completed my tax credit return and realised that for

Customer Question

I have completed my tax credit return and realised that for the previous 2 years I should have included other income from property £9500, I accept the oversight was mine , can I write and tell tax credits child tax credits that it was a mistake and can I pay it back
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it is my responsibility but my dad told me it was the same as Child benefit and you could earn £50,000 . I want to minimise the chance of a prosecution , and want to put myself in a position where they may choose the civil route I can pay it back in full.I hade written a letter saying that we have filed in the 2 previous years and realise now that we should have included other income I have supplied figures of the other income in the letter 2012/ 2013 being £9400 and 2014/ 2015
£9780. I have informed them that we can pay back any overpayments on demand and also any penalties, would you put in about yhe penalties, will this reduce the likelihood of prosecutions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The letter has not yet been sent but I want to send it asap
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Sorry for the delay. What is the sum of the overpayment please?