UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

I'm currently suspended from work pending a disaplinary for

Customer Question
gross misconduct. I work in...
I'm currently suspended from work pending a disaplinary for gross misconduct. I work in a call centre and I have targets to hit as to how many customer start with the company apposed to how many leave. We have currently changed systems and the stress levels have risen. I suffer from anxiety and was off work last year due to a break down. This has left me with constant vertigo, memory issues and trouble concentrating. For the last few months I have been asking If the reports on saves and disconnections have been correct as there seems to be something wrong with mine.wanting to find out what was happening so I could correct this if it was something I was doing. Yesterday I got pulled into a meeting about avoiding the disconnections and not logging the ones I have took. Part of the report is incorrect and they have admitted that but are adamant that the rest showing what I have logged is correct. I've admitted to them and they are aware that I make mistakes due to my health issues. Where do I stand with this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
5/19/2015
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. firstly can you plesae tell me how long you have been with your employer.

I've worked there for over 3 years now

Thank you for that information please leave this with me and I will get my advice ready for you on how to proceed with this. I will get back to you ASAP There is no need to wait on here I will email you when ready regards Ben.
Firstly I am surprised that they are treating this as gross misconduct If anything I would say that this is a performance issue more than anything else.
An employee's poor performance is a potentiality fair reason for disciplining and even dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996, as it would amount to lack of capability. This should be assessed by reference to an employee's "skill, aptitude, health or any other physical or mental quality" and must relate to the work that they were employed to do.
In order for a dismissal for poor performance to be fair, an employee must be warned that they need to improve, be given reasonable targets for improvement within a realistic timescale and be offered appropriate training and/or support during the monitoring period.
Generally, the reasonableness of such dismissals would be measured against the following criteria:
• Did the employer have reasonable belief in the employee's incompetence;
• Was the situation investigated and was the employee given the opportunity to voice their side of the story;
• Was the employee aware of what was required of them in terms of satisfactory performance;
• Were steps taken to minimise the risk of poor performance through training, supervision, etc;
• Was a proper appraisal conducted and was the problem identified in a timely manner;
• Was the employee told of the consequences of failing to improve and were they actually given the chance to improve their performance;
• Did the employer consider offering alternative employment.
The above are just examples and what a tribunal would generally look for when deciding the reasonableness of a dismissal. If there is a genuine belief or evidence that the employer has acted in a rather heavy-handed manner and not satisfied at least some of the above requirements, the dismissal could be challenged.
It is also important to consider the additional rights someone would have if they were suffering from a condition which amounts to a 'disability'. This can have a broad meaning and there is no single list of conditions that amount to a disability under law. Instead, to establish whether a person is disabled, they need to show they satisfy the legal definition of ‘disability’.
The Equality Act 2010 defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.
I will break this definition down:
• Physical or mental impairment – this can include nearly any medical condition;
• Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial;
• Long-term - the effect of the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months;
• Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. walking, driving, speaking, eating, washing, etc.)
If a person satisfies the above criteria, they will be classified as being disabled and will have automatic protection against discrimination, which means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. In addition, their employer would have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if they are likely to be placed at a substantial disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees.
The first step is to appeal directly to the employer within the allocated time for an internal appeal. After that the only viable option is to consider a claim for unfair dismissal in an employment tribunal, subject to having at least 2 years' continuous service. There is a strict time limit of 3 months from the date of dismissal to issue such a claim. So the good news is that you may have protection under disability discrimination and also have protection against unfair dismissal.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer