UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

I've been made redundant from a small company due to whistle-blowing.

Customer Question
I have appealed this and...
I've been made redundant from a small company due to whistle-blowing. I have appealed this and have an appeal hearing next week - this meeting is with someone (HR) not connected with the business - what questions do I need to ask
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
5/18/2015
Solicitor: Jenny McKenzie,
 replied 2 years ago
Jenny McKenzie
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the employer for and have they said this is a redundancy situation?
Only since July 2014, i was taken on as a support worker which within around 6 weeks changed to 'house manager' with no increase in wages. I have no contract or terms and conditions. We work with vulnerable children in care and i whistle blew to them with regards ***** ***** checks not being in place i.e. crb checks references etc, paying some staff cash in hand and other health and safety concerns. They are a very small ltd company (the director, his girlfriend and around 5 other staff) I had a meeting with the director on the 19th March when i raised my concerns - within a month of this meeting and once these checks were finally being put into place, i felt they were bullying into terminating my employment so raised my concerns via e-mail. To which they agreed to a meeting on the 30th April, i received a text later that day saying they needed time to think as to whether the post can be sustained, and the following day an e-mail saying whether my role is at risk of redundancy. The following Thursday (7th May) a meeting had been arranged via text where in 6 minutes i was made redundant with immediate effect but would be paid up until the 15th May. I contacted acas who suggested i appeal against the redundancy and as a result of this i now have a with someone from outside the company (random HR) on the 26th May
Solicitor: Jenny McKenzie,
 replied 2 years ago
Hi at this meeting you should be clear that you believe that your termination was because you make a protected disclosure and that you would not have been dismissed if it were not for the fact you had raised the concerns about care.
The questions you ask will depend to some degree on whether you want to go back to work there or not.
If you want to go back to work you can ask them to reconsider their position if you want to put a claim in it is probably better to let them do the talking but be clear that the fact you have been dismissed for this reason has broken down the employment relationship such that you no longer feel you can work there.
It may be worth getting a solicitor involved to try to negotiate a settlement without the need to raise a claim.
I definitely would not wish to work for them again, as I have lost complete trust and faith in them. I do however feel I have been treated unfairly and have concerns for the risks they are willing to take and not safeguarding the young people. I also feel that other staff will be aware that if they say anything they are likely to lose their jobs - can I confirm that this conversation is confidential and can you confirm how much I will be charged please
Solicitor: Jenny McKenzie,
 replied 2 years ago
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie