How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8933
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently left a company who I had a company car with (because there

Customer Question

I recently left a company who I had a company car with (because there was no allowance option). As I was half way through the lease when I left they wanted £5,500 from me for the outstanding PUC. They stopped ALL my pay in March without written notice. Also since taking the car, my role changed and location meaning I had no choice but to look for a job closer to home. Do I stand a chance of getting my owed money that they stopped?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was there anything in your contract or in the car policy which states that they can deduct monies for this reason?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not in my contract. But in the company car policy it does state that any outstanding PUC I would be liable for should I leave of my own accord. I had no choice but to take a company car, which at the time I opted for a 'nicer' car as I was in it for about 5 hours a day. However, several months later I moved departments (my contract was never amended), and my new job was based in London so was using the trains and very rarely the car. As I was working so far from home (midlands) I had to look for something closer to home so I didn't need to stop over.
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything which specifically states monies can be deducted from salary for this reason?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where possible money will be taken via salary (in the company car policy) however, I was never notified in writing that this would happen after they worked out money. They wrote to me saying that I owed £4,500 which should be paid in 28 days, with no mention of salary. Turns out they had already deducted money owed for time and owed money BUT when my pay slip came they had also deducted bonus owed. I asked for a breakdown (in writing via e-mail) of how they arrived at £4,500 and I never received a response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, should say they already deducted basic salary and owed holiday
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what has happened to the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's gone on a re-allocation list for the company, and whoever gets the car will only pay the tax on it - Bargain for them!
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 2 years ago.
Please bear with me while I prepare an answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have received a call from HR confirming I will not get money owed but I will not have to pay outstanding balance, so a response would be much appreciated.