UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

A work colleague has accused me of being racist towards another…

A work colleague has accused...
A work colleague has accused me of being racist towards another member of staff whom does not believe I was being racist what can I do?
7/1/2014
James Mather
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.

What problems has this caused?

What was the comment or action?

What has the other member of staff who was allegedly on the receiving end of this had to say about this?

What are you looking to achieve?

Hi Stuart,

My boss called me in to say that a member of staff was concerned that I was being racist towards another colleague. The colleague of whom I was supposed to be racist towards is not concerned in the slightest and has told my boss this. The colleague and I have had this ongoing joke as his name is***** and I call him ***** *****. We have had conversations before about it and he laughs about it. He also told me that he thought it was a disgrace.

I am wanting to know what I should be concerned as to what can happen with my job as I work in catering and it seems to be hard to know what my rights are. I've been there 4 months and have a signed written contract.

The problem is that the member of staff that has made the accusation is asking other members of staff if they have problems with me almost as if she is trying to get me out.

Many Thanks

The actions been taken by the complainant amount to harassment if she is trying to conjure up support from other members of staff. I would make a formal complaint not about the fact that she has complained about you but about her actions since.

Provided your work colleague who is alleged to be the victim in all this is no problem with it, then it is most unlikely that if this went to a tribunal, any defence would work particularly if your work colleague were to appear as a witness for you.

I seem to remember that ***** ***** was a film character and I cannot see that this is derogatory or racist.

It is no different than calling someone whose surname may be Kidd, Billy, or calling someone whose surname was Wyatt, Earp.

In this context it is simply a nickname in my opinion and there are no racial connotations.

You are entitled to a written contract if you ask for one.

As you have only been there for four months they are entitled to dismiss you without reason provided they follow the correct procedure of inviting you into a meeting and consulting with you.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising?
James Mather