UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

Hi, I am being made redundant as of 30/06/14 but my employment

doesn't finish until the second...
Hi, I am being made redundant as of 30/06/14 but my employment doesn't finish until the second week of July as I am working two weeks of my notice and they are paying me in lieu for the second 2 weeks. As part of my package I have a company car, mobile phone and laptop. Please can you confirm when and how these items legally have to be returned, especially as I work for home and they are asking me return my car to an office which is 160 miles away from my home.
Thanks
Emma
6/20/2014
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does the contract allow them to pay you in lieu of notice?

Customer:

Yes, they could have paid us the full month in lieu o notice but they are paying us the last 2 weeks

Ben Jones :

Does the contract say anything about the return of company property?

Customer:

It just says that it should be returned in correct working order etc... following the end of my emplyment

Ben Jones :

What is your contracted place of work?

Customer:

Home based

Ben Jones :

As your employment is officially terminating on the 30 June, any company property would have to be returned on or immediately after that date, unless you agree with the employer that you can return them at a later, pre-agreed, date. If you are contractually employed to work from home, then that would be the official workplace and if you are asked to return the car you have a couple of options – you can either request that the employer makes the necessary arrangements to collect the car and other property from you, or you deliver these to them but they then compensate you for the travel you have to undertake to do so (e.g. the return trip home). It is best not to assume what they would prefer to do and contact them to discuss the options and what they preferred option is.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer