UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

My 22 year old son works as a waiter in a local restaurant (serving at tables, behind the bar, cleaning etc).

He has type 1 diabetes...
My 22 year old son works as a waiter in a local restaurant (serving at tables, behind the bar, cleaning etc). He has type 1 diabetes of which his employer is aware. He works long hours, sometimes 13 hour shifts. He is given the statutory 20 minutes break but does require, when feeling unwell due to the nature of the business to check his blood sugars and if necessary take time to treat a hypo.

The management are currently checking staff breaks and he is wondering whether there is a legal requirement for them to allow him to take breaks to check his blood sugars and administer treatment should it be necessary and what is the actual law regarding working hours?

Many thanks
Mary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2014
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you also concerned he is working excessive hours?

Customer:

He does work long hours, but as this is his only job at present (he is an intern) he does have time off, but I believe he should have a certain amount of time off between shifts ie working 9.30am Saturday to 1.00am Sunday, then going back in at 9.30am Sunday is excessive,

Ben Jones :

ok thanks let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

His rights in relation to working time and hours are as follows:

• He is entitled to uninterrupted rest breaks of 20 minutes for every 6 hours of work, so if he works a 13-hour shift he can expect at least two 20-minute breaks.

• He is also entitled to daily rest of 11 hours between working, so for example if he finishes at midnight, he cannot be expected back into work until at least 11am the next day.

• He also gets weekly rest which must be a 24-hour period without work every week, or it could be a 48 hour period every 2 weeks

He will have additional rights in relation to his medical situation. As someone who is suffering from diabetes he is likely to be classified as disabled under employment law. As such his employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments to assist him as necessary in work if he is likely to be placed at a disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees. A common adjustment could be to allow him extra breaks as needed so he can administer medication, or if he does not physically feel able to work to his full potential. Not only that, but it is also going to be a health and safety issue because the employer has a legal duty to ensure the health and safety of its employees and by refusing him an opportunity to deal with his condition and manage it they could easily be exposing him to unnecessary risks at work and affect his health and wellbeing.

Customer:

Thank you for that information, that is a lot clearer.

Customer:

How would he be able to inforce any of this though?

Ben Jones :

He needs to approach the employer to remind them of his rights. If nothing improves then he can consider the formal grievance route - it is basically a formal internal complaint. If that still does not help then he can consider either resigning and claiming constructive dismissal or disability discrimination, or the same could happen if they dismissed him as a result. But in the end if the employer flatly refuses to do anything he will have to consider whether he wants to stay there and bear this or leave and pursue his rights through the tribunal

Customer:

Great thanks for your help.

Customer:

Hopefully it won't come to this but at least we know.

Customer:

Thanks again

Ben Jones :

Hope so too, all the best

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi so sorry need the answer to one more question that I forgot.

Does he need to sign out/clock back in if he needs a medical breaks?

Thank You so much

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

If he does have to sign in/out these breaks will be unpaid (the payroll is processed by Head Office), Would this not be discrimination as he will be losing part of his salary?

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?