UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

Ben, I have been called upon as a main witness for the defence in a serious criminal investigation.

Customer Question
Hello Ben, I have been called...
Hello Ben,
I have been called upon as a main witness for the defence in a serious criminal investigation. I have just been arrested for drink driving and will most certainly be found guilty by the court on the day. I have recently been vetted by the Home Office for a job I applied for and received an enhanced DBS and Home Office approval. Due to a physical injury, I was unable to complete my course to work for the UKBA, so I have decided to pursue a career in teaching.
Will my drink drive ban dis my previously clean record for honesty and integrity. I am 52 years old and have been driving for 29 years. I have never done anything so stupid. Are my future employment prospects now seriously jeopardised?
I am desperate for advice. I am currently unemployed and am struggling to pay my bills.
Many thanks,
Marie
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
6/10/2014
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you worried about the current job you have applied for or future opportunities?

JACUSTOMER-f3mx9dd- :

Yes, I was once a medical rep. I have been a rep for over 25 years so had to ensure a clean licence. I have been given an interview to get back into medical repping, however, that is futile now as I cannot apply for a job which requires driving/

Ben Jones :

Well the conviction, just like any other criminal conviction, will appear on an Enhanced DBS check. Whilst most convictions have a rehabilitation period after which they will no longer appear on DBS checks, in the case of Enhanced ones there is a possibility they could appear for life, if the police believe that the information about the conviction is relevant to the application you are making. There are certain guidelines they have to follow when deciding on whether to include this but at least for a few years it will appear automatically anyway as it would still be classified as a 'live.conviction. How long it remains on your record and is automatically shown will depend on what the outcome is and the specific nature of the penalty you are issued with.

The good news is that an employer may not automatically consider this if they do not want to - they could see this as an unrelated issue that has no direct impact on your ability to perform your job and could offer you a position regardless. The bad news is that it will be seen for some time on your checks and if the employer really wanted to they could take it into account when deciding on whether to offer you a job or not. Sadly there is no way around it - it is a formal conviction and it will appear on your checks, subject to the above rules

Ben Jones :

Can you please clarify why you rated Bad service? I am happy to discuss your situation further if needed

Ben Jones :

Hello?

I see from your rating that you were not entirely satisfied with the service I have provided you with. Please remember that you are only rating the service you received, not the contents of my answer. As a lawyer I have to be honest and quote the law as it is and it may not necessarily be the answer you wanted to receive - unfortunately there is little I can do about this. My main priority is to ensure that you leave our site satisfied. Therefore, please get back to me with any further questions you may have or let me know if I can clarify anything further for you and improve your rating. Thank you
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer