UK Employment Law

I am one of only 3 employees in the company, one employee is…

I am one of only...
I am one of only 3 employees in the company, one employee is already drawing the defined benefit pension, the CEO is due to retire on full benefits at end March, and the company have now informed me that they intend to change from defined benefits to defined contribution from end march. I will be the only employee affected. They are currently... Read full answer
I am one of only 3 employees in the company, one employee is already drawing the defined benefit pension, the CEO is due to retire on full benefits at end March, and the company have now informed me that they intend to change from defined benefits to defined contribution from end march. I will be the only employee affected. They are currently paying 12% and want to reduce that amount. My contract of employment just states I am entitled to join the company pension scheme
1/3/2014
UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor

What would you like to ask regarding the proposed changes to your pension?

I just need to know what my rights are, I dont want to pay for every question on this, I have paid £22, so if by going any further it will cost more, I am unable to do this. I just need to know if I have any legal stance at all. Thank you

Thank you.

I will only be credited for my time when you leave positive feedback, until then, your money will be held by the site as a deposit and you do not need to pay for every question asked unless you wish to.

If you are the only employee affected adversely by the proposed change to the pension plan, you should raise a formal grievance against the proposals and say that you oppose them.

The company is only allowed to change your pension plan if you agree to the change or it it has reserved the right to change it in your employment contract. Otherwise you may refuse to accept the changes and the company may either terminate your contract or you may resign.

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a pension question - I am planning to retire at 60
I have a pension question - I am planning to retire at 60 from my current employment and intend to draw an annuity from my current pension scheme. What happens if I also take up part-time work with an… read more
James Mather
James Mather
Hi I work for a bank and ive been working from home for the
Hi I work for a bank and ive been working from home for the past two months due to a stress related digestive disorder .the bank is threaening me with medical retirement , what does this entail please… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
hi i have been employed for the last 7 years by my current
hi i have been employed for the last 7 years by my current employer. unfortunately over the last 2 years i have had problems with my right knee which has resulted in me having to take sick leave on a … read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
Stop searching for answers—
Rather than join a pension plan offered by my employers (which
Rather than join a pension plan offered by my employers (which I know is not performing well) I have asked if they would pay the equivalent employer's contribution into a private pension plan that I h… read more
Senior Partner
Senior Partner
Advice please re redundancy settlement. Been informed my job
Advice please re redundancy settlement. Been informed my job is redundant after 11 years 8 months, I'm 56 and my chances of finding another job especially with equal pay is going to be difficult to sa… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
My firm are ending our final salary pension as of next January
My firm are ending our final salary pension as of next January up until now we were able to take early retirement from the age of 55 and carry on working if we so wished. They are now saying this is n… read more
Senior Partner
Senior Partner
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My employers (the company directors) since December 2003 put
My employers (the company directors) since December 2003 put the company into administration in July 2011 and then continued trading as a partnership after agreeing a purchase back from the administra… read more
John Knox
John Knox
Solicitor,
Post-graduate diploma in law
I wish to retire at age 65 -September this year. It is in my
I wish to retire at age 65 -September this year. It is in my contract of employment. however my employer says I need permission to retire at 65, but is not responding to my request. I know that most e… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
Can an employer terminate my contract of employment when I
Can an employer terminate my contract of employment when I will not accept a new contract to replace the current contract with final salary pension Am I entitled to some legal representation when my e… read more
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
I was told by my company I would have to change pension schemes
I was told by my company I would have to change pension schemes due to promotion. Unfortunatley I did not defer my original pension that I had contributed to over 19 years. After 10 months the positio… read more
Senior Partner
Senior Partner
I want to ask a pension / employment related question but I
I want to ask a pension / employment related question but I do not understand why I am being asked for my credit card details… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
I am considering joining a small Indian company as their first
I am considering joining a small Indian company as their first UK based employee. Is it oblligatory for them to provide me with a pension contribution? My previous employer did so by comntributing to … read more
Senior Partner
Senior Partner
Stop searching for answers—
What pension rights do uk employees have if a foreign owned
What pension rights do uk employees have if a foreign owned company (austrailian) decides to close its uk subdiduary (a Holding Company). I appreciate you can only give a broad brush response but that… read more
Senior Partner
Senior Partner
Originally in BP final salary pension which allowed early retirement
Originally in BP final salary pension which allowed early retirement by employee choice -several TUPE transfers later and in money purchase scheme not by choice. does the original BP right to early re… read more
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
Sir, I am employed by the largest private employer in the
Sir, I am employed by the largest private employer in the world. I receive a retained salary and £6.50 for each hour I actually work. I joined the company pension scheme and received the usual informa… read more
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
I currently have a non-occupational pension plan (GPPP) with
I currently have a non-occupational pension plan (GPPP) with my current employer into which I contribute 8.5% (including tax relief) of my salary. My employer currently contributes a sum equalling 8.5… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
I have been off sick for 4.5 months but due to return to work
I have been off sick for 4.5 months but due to return to work by end Feb. My employer of 9 years has advised I am being made redundant due to organisational changes whereby my duties have been assigne… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
I have been with my company since May 1978. I am very lucky
I have been with my company since May 1978. I am very lucky I have a final salary pension. I put 6% into the fund the company put 12%. I was aged 25 years wen I joined the company - so the maximum I w… read more
Senior Partner
Senior Partner