How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, Im planning to rent my house out next May with

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
I'm planning to rent my house out next May with a new lender, then travel for one year, when I return to the UK can I move back into the house, without re-mortgaging
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you explain your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mr Denning,

I have an interest only mortgage at the moment, going to change to buy to rent and lease it to my son and his friend, I intend to live abroad for a year, if, when I return can I move back into my property and live my son?

There is nothing whatsoever to stop you doing
what you are doing.

The lender will usually charge you a fee for it
going on a buy to let mortgage and charge a higher interest rate.

They will then usually charge you a fee for
changing it back again when the interest rate should revert.

Speak to your mortgage lender and tell them that
this is just simply a 12 month measure while you go travelling.

They are going to require that the tenant has an
assured short hold tenancy agreement which is a standard type agreement in
cases like this.

When you get back, or before you get back, you
will have to serve a section 21 notice, with at least two months notice for the
tenant to quit.

You can serve the section 21 notice to quit on
the day the tenant takes out the tenancy agreement if you know exactly when you
are coming back.

If the tenant does not move out after the
prescribed period, you are faced with going through the process of applying to
court to get them out. You just need to be aware

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.


Stuart J and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you