UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

Hi where will I find an example lay off and short working paragraph

to add to my contracts...
Hi where will I find an example lay off and short working paragraph to add to my contracts for new staff? Thanks
7/26/2013
Jenny McKenzie
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, can I just clarify this is only for new staff not existing?
Hi yes, I knowi cannot change old contracts. Is for new or those changing jobs within the business which requires a new contract

Thanks
Hi I will dig one out for you. Bear with me it may take me a little while.

Since thanks
Hi please see below standard wording you can use.

Termination for lay-off and short time:
An employee will be considered 'laid-off' for the purpose of this clause if in any week
the employee does not receive any pay because there is no work for the employee to do (provided that the employee is still available for work).
An employee will be considered on 'short time' for the purpose of this clause in any week where the employee receives less than half of his normal week's pay.
If an employee is laid-off or put on short time, the employee is entitled to a redundancy payment only if the employee gives the employer notice in writing of his intention to claim a redundancy payment, and providing that the notice is submitted to the employer within 4 weeks of either:
(i) the end of a continuous period of lay-off or short time which lasts more than 4 weeks; or
(ii) the end of a period of period of 6 weeks lay-off or 13 weeks short time (which do not have to be continuous weeks).
On receipt of the above notice, the employer may (if it wishes) deliver a counter-notice to the employee. The employer can only deliver a counter-notice within 7 days of receiving the employee's redundancy request, and only if the employer reasonably believes that it will be able to provide the employee within the next 4 weeks with work lasting at least 13 weeks (and which would not involve a lay-off or any short time within that expected work period).
If the employer serves a counter-notice, as described above, the employee is not entitled to receive a redundancy payment.
In addition to the notice of intention to claim a redundancy payment, the employee must also give notice to terminate his contract of employment (ie the required notice under the terms of this contract of employment). That notice can be given at the same time as the redundancy request, or the employee may wait for the employer's response. If the employer does not serve a counter-notice, the employee may serve his notice of termination of employment on the employer,within 4 weeks of the employee's original redundancy payment notice.

I would be grateful if you would take the time to give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.
Hi is this the whole thing I put in the contract?
Hello yes, that is the entire clause that you need. Please remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie