How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  30 years experience
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good eveningA spouse of a Croatian National, who has South

This answer was rated:

Good evening
A spouse of a Croatian National, who has South African nationality/passport and currently residing with his family in South Africa, is thinking of potentially buying into a veterinary partnership in the UK. Is this classified as self-employment and thus does not need work authorisation? What does his wife- Croatian national have to do to exercise treaty rights in the UK?
Will he also be able to get a bank loan for part of the partnership fee?
Many thanks in advance
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Yes I wish to continue waiting please. I don't have an answer to my questions at this time.

Thank you

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Thank you for your question. Can you let me know if the wife works? Or is she self sufficient?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


as far as I know she is at moment houswife and mother to there young daughter. If this is important to know I will e-mail him to find out. He is the main bread winner and head of a large veterinary practice in South Africa.


I do not think what you are suggesting is possible. As a croatian the wife has the right to come her but to work or live on a self sufficient basis. Being dependent on her husband is not being self sufficient. As a non EEA national he has to apply in advance for a family permit to accompany her to the UK I am not sure it would be granted.

If he could get the permit then he will be free to work when he comes here , I doubt if he would get a bank loan initially however unless he has security or can demonstrate an income
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience: 30 years experience
Senior Partner and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you please clarify the term 'self sufficient'; as Croatia has some restrictions to come and work here in UK, dose it mean she also has to be selfemployed or start own busineess?

Also the husband- the vet- will bye into a partnership that is running for over 20 years with very good net profit which part of will be his earnings, so he will be able to show emidiate income.


Croatia as you no doubt know only became a member of the EU at the beginning of July. The rights of Croatians to come to the uk are limited in that they can only work if they have ben given permission. If a Croatian wishes to exercise treaty right other than working then they can be self employed be a student or be self sufficient. Being self sufficient means having enough money to live without working or having recourse to public funds or even state funded medical treatment - self sufficient people are expected to have private medical cover. So if she cannot demonstrate genuine self employment or self sufficiency she will not be considered to be exercising treaty rights and her husband will be unable to apply for a residence card. Without that he cannot work in the uk .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great, thank you for the information

ok let me know if you need anything else