UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

Hey, Is it illegal for someone to be employed in an unadvertised…

Hey, Is it illegal for someone...
Hey,

Is it illegal for someone to be employed in an unadvertised temporary position and then be made permanent without going to competitive interview / advert?

I am concerned as in this particular situation the person employed had no previous experience or qualifications relating to that field and is currently in a personal relationship with their line manager.
7/8/2013
Jenny McKenzie
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, perhaps surprisingly there is no legal requirement for a job to be competitively advertised. An employer is free, subject to discrimination laws, to employ who they want into a position, the fact that there is a relationship would not make the appointment unlawful.

It may be that another employee would feel aggrieved by this and potentially they could raise a grievance in the event that they feel that they may have been overlooked for a promotion but, in essence, unless they can show that it amounts to discrimination contrary to the Equality Act 2010, there will be little redress. Discrimination in this context is on the basis of a persons race, religion, pregnancy, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.

If you think this may apply and want to know more about this please let me know.

If you have any follow on questions I will be happy to answer them. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny McKenzie